Throughout the year, the Japanese Ancestral Society sponsors or participates in a variety of projects which fulfill the organization’s goals. Mochitsuki is a New Year’s event which falls in that category. Along with the Consulate General of Japan and others, Japanese Ancestral Society co-sponsors a high school speech tournament each spring to encourage Japanese language and culture studies in Oregon schools. Speech contest winners have been awarded trips to Japan or generous gift cards to Japanese bookstores. The Japanese Ancestral Society has also been a sponsor of Japanese festivals at Richmond Elementary School’s Immersion Program and Uwajimaya Plaza.
The Japanese Ancestral Society was instrumental in conducting feasibility studies leading to the building of Ikoi So Terrace, a government subsidized housing project for lower income elderly and handicapped individuals.
- Japanese American Graduation Banquet
- Cultural Heritage Fairs:
Richmond Japanese Language Immersion School
Festival Japan at Uwajimaya
- Ikoi No Kai Senior Lunch Program
- Holiday Visits to some less mobile senior members
- Memorial Day commemoration, The Japanese Ancestral Society of Portland Cemetery
- Memorial Day Services, Lone Fir Cemetery
- Nikkei Community Picnic at Oaks Park